Weekly Scripture Reading:
This Week’s Scripture Reading: John 8:31-36
CLICK HERE TO READ John 8:31-36
This weekend’s Gospel reading reminds us that in Christ we have been set free. We no longer live under the threat of the law or under the burden of judgement and guilt. We no longer live outside trying to “pay” or earn our way in. We have been brought in by the Son. The Son has set us free and so we are free indeed!
As we celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Reformation we remember that this is what Luther was so passionate about – The freedom that comes from the Gospel! Luther found Jesus at the Center!
As we talk about stewardship we also remember that being good stewards is something that God has set us free to do. We are not working for a paycheck in His Kingdom. We have been chosen, forgiven, and equipped to do holy work in this thing we call life. God desires to use you to do some of His work in this world. That is not something we’ve “got to” do but something we “get to” do in and through Jesus!
Group Discussion Question:
• • Read John 8:31-36
• What questions did you have about the reading, message, or devotion?
• How would you define the word freedom?
• Are there differences between the freedom we have as Americans and the freedom Jesus speaks of in the reading today? How are they the same and different?
• What are we set free from? What are we set free to do?
• Are we ever really free? Romans 6:15-23 is worth a read on this topic.
• A pastor friend of mine talks about this topic using the terms “got to” and “get to” to illustrate the difference in leaving under the law or under grace. What do you think he is talking about?
Sermon Video Clip: