Blessed! There’s no way around it in this weekend’s readings – You are blessed! You are not blessed because you show mercy, or because you are pure in heart, or because you are poor in spirit. You are first blessed because you have been washed by the blood of the Lamb. This is not just a future reality – It is a right now reality. We have been clothed with Christ and now Christ wants to have good use of you. He makes us to be peacemakers, dispensers of mercy, and even pure in heart.
The world did not accept Jesus and the world persecuted Jesus. We can expect the same. But Jesus reminds us today in the Sermon on the Mount that we are the blessed, and that makes all the difference in the world. There will be hard times. There will be persecution – But take heart – You are one of the blessed in Jesus!
Therefore, as the blessed we serve, we love, and we give thanks for all the gifts God has freely given us.
Group Discussion Question:
• Read Matthew 5:1-12 & Revelation 7:9-17
• What struck you from the readings, message, or devotion this week?
• What is the first word out of the mouth of Jesus at the Sermon on the Mount? He repeats that word 9 times in the first 11 verses.
• There is no doubt that we are blessed – but the real question is why?
• Does God bless us because of our righteous acts or lowly state?
• Read the Revelation reading again. Why are we blessed?
• The first and greatest blessing we have is that we have been washed in the blood of Jesus. What are some of the benefits of being one of the Blessed?
Sermon Video Clip: