Connection Points 1-7-18 (Joshua 1:6-9 & Matthew 3:13-17)
“Be strong and courageous…For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” The Lord said a few other things to Joshua in today’s reading, but the first phrase and last phrase seem to sum things up pretty well. Be strong and courageous because the Lord goes with you wherever you go. We are not courageous because God guarantees we will always win or that life will always go great. We can move forward courageously because God goes with us. We live as people redeemed by the crucified and risen Jesus. Today might be a great day, or today might be a difficult day – But today the Lord goes with you!
There is a great song by Tauren Wells entitled “Hills and Valleys” that reminds us of this great truth. No matter what you are facing, the Lord will not abandon you.
Connection Point Discussion Questions 1-7-18
- Read Joshua 1:6-9 & Matthew 3:13-17
- What jumped out at you from the reading, sermon, or devotion this week?
- What does it mean to be courageous or to have courage?
- What are times in your life when it is easy to be courageous and when is it difficult?
- Why did Joshua need a “pep talk” from God at this point in his life? What was going on?
- Joshua and Caleb were the only two adults that were counted at Mount Sinai that got to enter the Promised Land. Check out Numbers 13-14 if you want to know why.