Connection Points 2-18-18 (Galatians 2:11-21)
We are justified (made right with God) through faith in Jesus and not by observing the law. This does not mean that the law is bad, useless, or that it should be set aside never to be spoken of again. The law is good and holy. However, the law does not save you. The Gospel shows us what (or better yet who) saves us! It is Jesus!
As you read through Galatians you will hear Paul make this point again and again. It is faith in the crucified and risen Jesus that saves. That is the Gospel. I recently saw a poster online that I thought wrapped up Galatians perfectly. It simply read: “The Gospel + Anything = The Law”. Once again there is nothing wrong with The Law, but it is not The Gospel. When it comes to justification The Law kills you (which is actually a good thing) and The Gospel brings you life (which is a way better thing)!
Connection Point Discussion Questions 2-18-18
- Read Galatians 2:11-21
- What impacted you the most from this week’s reading, message, or devotion?
- What was Peter doing that Paul had to call him out on in the reading?
- Do think the modern church today is ever guilty of behaving like the group that was demanding the Gentiles follow the regulations of the Torah?
- The heart of Paul’s message in Galatians comes out very clearly in this week’s reading. What is that message?
- Galatians 2:20 is a great passage that really wraps up the entire Christian life. What are some of the truths that come out of this amazing verse?
- Why do think it is so easy for us to fall into a law oriented idea about justification?