Connection Points 3-18-18 (Galatians 5:1-6)
Jesus sets us free! That is the good news revealed to us in God’s Word. Without Jesus we remain under the law which demands perfection. Because we are sinners, we can’t keep the law and thus remain imprisoned in our sin and separated from God. But Jesus sets us free! We are set free from our sin and from life under the law. Our status before God is no longer dependent on how good we are. Our status before God is dependent on how good Jesus is. Jesus was perfect and holy, and in the waters of baptism you have been wrapped up into the life of Jesus.
You now get to live in freedom! You are free to love, serve, and care not in order to earn God’s favor, but because Jesus has earned God’s favor for you. This world is full of people that need to be loved and cared for. You have been set free to bring the love of Jesus to a hurting world.
Connection Point Discussion Questions 3-18-18
- What questions did you have about the reading, the sermon, or the devotion?
- How would you define the word freedom? Is there a difference between being set free “from” and set free “to” in life?
- Outside of faith and Jesus, what are some of the other things in life that you might considering freeing?
- Explain how sin and the law imprison us? How is it that Jesus sets us free?
- What are some of the ways we abuse our freedoms?