CLICK HERE FOR SERMON CLIP
Connection Points 4-29-18 (1 John 4:1-19)
Love – It’s a big word! Defining it can be difficult and even when people try to do so the answers you get are quite varied. There is the love a parent has for a child, brotherly love, romantic love, and of course the self-sacrificing love of God. All love is a gift from God, after all the Scriptures remind us that God is love.
God loves you. He does not love you because of your obedience and righteousness or because you make great sacrifices for him. He loves you with an overwhelming, never ending, self-sacrificing love. He shows us that love through the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. God calls us to love as well. But take heart – God loved you first! When you were dead in sin he loved you. When you were his enemy he loved you. Rely on his love. Trust it, cling to it, and let it flow through you out to others.
Connection Point Discussion Questions
- Read 1 John 4:1-19 & John 15:1-8
- What stuck with you from the reading, sermon, or devotion this week?
- How do you define love?
- What are some of the different love relationships in your life?
- Who in life has shown you self-sacrificing love (agape)?
- Who are the people that God loves through you in this life?
- When is love most difficult for you?