Connection Points 8-19-18 (Ephesians 4:17-5:2)
Paul seems to be on a role here telling us everything we ought to be doing and how we are to live. It’s almost like Paul has had a change of heart and has left behind all his “Remember who you are” talk and instead has taken a works righteousness approach. However, this is not the case at all. If you read this text closely you will see that Paul, by the power of the Spirit, is simply telling us to be who we are. He wants us to live where God has put us. He wants us to experience the good life (not health and wealth and a life of self-indulging), but a life where we are free to love, forgive, and speak truthfully because of what Christ has done for us. Paul is pleading with God’s people to simply let Jesus be Jesus in them!
Connection Point Discussion Questions 8-19-18
- Read Ephesians 4:17-5:2
- What struck you from the reading, message, or devotion this week?
- What is Paul telling us to avoid in this life?
- Why avoid these things? Does doing that win us God’s favor?
- Why do we now have the power to put off the old way of life? In what ways will we always struggle with the old way of life (at least in this life)?
- What is the great Gospel that is found in the last 4 or so sentences of this week’s reading?