This Week’s Scripture Reading:: Ephesians 5:6-21, John 6:51-69
Connection Points 8-26-18 (Ephesians 5:6-21)
Once you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of the light. These words of Paul come from Ephesians 5:8 and remind us that the greatest change that has ever taken place in our lives was built upon a choice God made – not us! God chose to change you from darkness to light. God chose to send Jesus to live a perfect life, to die on a cross, and to rise from the dead. God chose to forgive your sins and to make you His child. Thanks be to God for His amazing grace-filled choices!
Paul also reminds that since we are now children of the light, we can live as children of the light. He is essentially telling us to make good choices. Your good choice don’t earn you salvation, but they do keep you close to Jesus and they are a benefit to those around you. So make good choice, but put your faith for salvation in the choice God made in and through His Son Jesus.
Connection Point Discussion Questions 8-26-18
- Read Ephesians 5:1-21
- What stuck with you from the reading, message, or devotion this week?
- What are some different ways that the phrase “Once you were… but now you are” can be applied to your life?
- What are some of the ways God has worked in your life to “change” you?
- Why can we say the greatest change in our lives was built upon a choice God made?
- As Lutheran Christians we say that we don’t have the power to choose Jesus as Savior but we do have the choice to reject Him. Now that we have been chosen by God what kind of freedom do we now have in terms of choice?