This Week’s Scripture Reading: 1 Thessalonians 5:4-11, Mark 9: 14-19
Connection Points 9-16-18 (Ephesians 6:14)
The Breastplate of Righteousness! It is an essential part of the Armor of God. It is probably the most misunderstood part of the armor as well. This piece of armor which protects your heart is not your own righteousness, but instead the very righteousness of God that is applied to you in and through Jesus Christ. Wearing your own righteousness as a breast plate will leave you dead in your sin because it does not measure up to God’s Holy Law. However, the righteousness of God that is ours through faith in Christ Jesus does measure up to the Law and so we now get to live in the righteousness of Christ. We live out our lives trusting in the righteousness of Christ, yielding to the righteousness of Christ, and rejoicing in the righteousness of Christ as Christ Himself works through us to love, care, and proclaim the Gospel. We don’t hide behind the righteousness of Christ – We live behind the righteousness of Christ!
Connection Point Discussion Questions 9-16-18
- Read Ephesians 6:10-20
- What questions did you have about the reading, sermon or devotion this week?
- How is the righteousness of Christ different from our righteousness?
- Why does our righteousness not protect us from the law?
- Why can the righteousness of Christ protect us?
- Why is it better to say “live” behind the righteousness of Christ instead of “hide” behind his righteousness?
- How does the righteousness of God get applied to us?