This Week’s Scripture Reading:
Connection Points 1-13-19 (Luke 3:15-22)
During the season of Epiphany we rejoice that the Gospel reveals Jesus! But the question must be asked: Who is this Jesus? During Epiphany we are going to let the Gospel readings reveal who Jesus is and what Jesus does. We got our first peak into the identity of Jesus at His birth when the angels sang, and the shepherds worshipped. Last week we had another glimpse when the Magi bowed down and presented gifts to the infant king. This weekend God the Father chimes in at the baptism of Jesus and says, “This is my Son whom I love. In Him I am well pleased.”
Jesus is the Son of God and is loved by His Father. This is Good News for us, because in our baptism we have been wrapped up in Jesus. When God looks at my credentials for eternal life and salvation, He does not see my sin but the righteousness of His Son whom He loves.
Connection Point Discussion Question 1-13-19
- Read Luke 3:15-22
- What stuck with you from the readings, sermon, or devotion this week?
- What are some different world views about who Jesus is?
- How would you answer the question, “Who is Jesus?”
- During the season of Epiphany we celebrate the truth of Jesus being revealed. What do the following things reveal about Jesus? His miracles – His baptism – The visit of the magi – His Transfiguration
- What is the one source to find information on who Jesus is?
- In the baptism of Jesus, God the Father declared who Jesus was. How is this similar to what happens in our baptism?